image source: Pexels
Millions of Americans love fried chicken like their grandmas used to make or from restaurants like KFC, Bojangles’, or Popeyes. However, thousands of Americans have also given it up because of the salt, fat, and calories than fried chicken contains.
Thankfully, you can still enjoy chicken that can help you lose weight when you prepare it with healthier methods. This information can show you how to find healthy chicken recipes for weight loss to make for yourself or the next family gathering.
Chicken Recipe FAQs
image source: Pexels
If you have a weight problem but want to eat some of your favorite foods, like chicken, learning how to prepare it in healthier ways will allow you to keep enjoying it. Here are some FAQs regarding the best healthy chicken recipes for weight loss.
What are healthy chicken recipes?
Instead of preparing chicken by frying it, which is the worse way to eat most foods, you can make it in ways that are delicious and healthy for you. One way to enjoy a healthier version of crispy fried chicken is by using an air fryer.
An air fryer uses hot air instead of hot grease to thoroughly cook a chicken. Along with being healthier, the air fryer helps it taste as good as regular fried chicken without fat dripping from it. Baking chicken is another healthy way to prepare chicken.
You can barbeque it or prepare several other dishes featuring chicken that are healthy and low-calorie by baking it. When baking chicken, use a roasting pan with a rack to allow the fat to run out of the chicken to make it healthier.
How can you lose weight by eating chicken?
The fat and calories that chicken contains will differ when you cook it in different ways. Baked chicken has less fat, and fewer calories than fried chicken or you can roast chicken without adding too many additional calories to it.
Chicken is a lean, healthy protein when you remove the skin and trim the fat from it. Also, use seasonings or spices instead of sauces to cut down on calories and fat. Many professional athletes, such as bodybuilders, eat chicken as their primary protein source to manage their weight. So, by learning healthier ways to cook it, you can lose weight and keep it off by eating chicken.
Where can you find healthy chicken recipes?
The best resource for finding healthy, and not so healthy, recipes is the internet. Search “healthy chicken dishes” to find websites that contain healthy chicken recipes that can help you lose weight.
How We Reviewed
image source: Pexels
Reviewing recipes is different than reviewing products like air conditioners or car seats. In this case, we not only looked up healthy recipes for chicken that promote weight loss, but we prepared the dishes too.
After examining the ingredients in each recipe to ensure they are healthy and low in calories, we also read the reviews from others who tried them to find the best preparation method before cooking and taste testing them.
Overall Price Range of Healthy Chicken Recipes
The most expensive part of preparing any recipe is going to be the main ingredient, which in this case is chicken. Prices vary around the country, but currently, according to the USDA, bagged fryers average $1.28 per pound nationally. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are $2.28 per pound, and a bagged roaster is $3.33 per pound. Many of the other ingredients you may already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
Chicken Recipes Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose Healthy Chicken Recipes for Weight Loss
The quickest way to find healthy chicken recipes that can help you lose weight is to find websites with several “healthy chicken” recipes on them and read the list of ingredients and the nutritional information for each dish.
The ingredients list can tell you if the ingredients they are using are low in fat, sodium, and calories, as well as flavorful. If the recipe uses spices and vegetables instead of creamy sauces, it is going to be healthier and has fewer calories in it.
Also, the nutritional information can provide other details to help you determine if the recipe is healthy. Try to keep the calories below 500 if you’re trying to lose weight quickly and watch your sodium intake because it can cause your body to retain fluid, which means added weight to your body.
Healthy Chicken Recipes for Weight Loss
The recipes in this review are not only healthy and can help people lose weight, but they are flavorful and easy to make as well.
Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Dinner
- One tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Three boneless, skinless chicken breasts, four to six ounces each. Cut them in large bite-sized pieces
- Two cups broccoli florets
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- Half a cup yellow onion, chop
- Half a cup celery slices
- Quarter of a cup chicken broth, or water
- Quarter tsp. sea or kosher salt
- Quarter tsp. black pepper
- Quarter of a cup coconut amino, you can substitute Tamari or lite soy sauce
- Two tbsps. vegetable sriracha.
- Add olive oil to a skillet and place it over medium heat. Brown the chicken on all sides, about eight minutes. Remove the chicken and put it aside. Add the broccoli florets to the skill. Sauté the broccoli until slightly tender. Once tender, remove the broccoli and set aside.
- Add the onion and celery to the skillet and cook for five to eight minutes, until the celery has softened, and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Then, add the broth (or water), chicken, and broccoli back to the skillet along with the salt and pepper. Cook for about five more minutes, until chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together, then add them to the pan for the last minute of cooking time.
This recipe uses browned chicken with sautéed broccoli, which is a healthy way to cook both ingredients. Most of the ingredients are common, so most of them should be in the pantries of most home cooks.
This recipe serves four and has a serving size of one cup. It has 130 calories per serving, three grams of fat, 62g of cholesterol, 21g of protein, and 228 milligrams of salt.
Pros and Cons
These are features about this recipe that we like and those we don’t.
- Easy to make in one skillet
- A healthy way to cook chicken
- Common ingredients
- It doesn’t give any suggestions for side dishes
Barbeque Chicken on Fresh Chopped Salad
- Two boneless chicken-breasts, halved to make four pieces with visible fat
- One tsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Four tbsp. barbecue sauce
- Ten cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
- Two cups tomatoes with seeds removed, dice and chop
- One- and one-half cups cucumber, remove seeds and chop
- Two cups zucchini dice
- Two ounces light cheddar cheese, fine shred
- Half cup red onion, chop
- Quarter of a cup balsamic vinegar
- Two tbsps. Dijon mustard
- One tbsp. honey
- Two tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- Two tbsps. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Add a pinch of salt
- Season with pepper
- Turn the grill on high to preheat it. Put each piece of chicken between plastic wrap, foil, or waxed paper. With a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten the chicken to a thickness of about half an inch. Rub them with a mix of olive oil, pepper, and salt to taste. Grill them for three to five minutes on each side, and then let them cool.
- Mix the vinegar, honey, and mustard with a whisk. Add in the oil slowly. Then, while stirring, add the basil, and then season with pepper and salt to taste. Cube the chicken to transfer it to a bowl. Add the barbecue sauce to the bowl and stir it to coat the chicken. Then, in a large bowl, toss the vegetables with the cheese and dressing. Add the chicken to the salad and serve.
This recipe makes tasty barbeque chicken with a healthy, nutrient-dense fresh salad. By grilling the chicken, it is healthy, and the dressing is creamy but not laden with fat or an abundance of calories. This dish serves four, and each serving contains 337 calories, 13g of fat, 30g of protein, and 27g of carbohydrates from the vegetables.
Pros and Cons
We breakdown what we like about this recipe and what could be better.
- Chicken prepared in a healthy manner
- The dressing is mustard and vinegar, both of which are low in calories and fat
- It makes large servings, so it should satisfy everyone
- No suggestions on a healthier BBQ sauce to use
Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken with Brussels Sprouts & Squash
There are few things easier than using a sheet pan to make dinner. You only need to put everything in a pan, put it in the oven, set the timer, and wait until the dish is ready. This dish also has a mustard-maple glaze to give it a slightly sweet and spicy flavor.
- One tablespoon fresh sage, chop, and divide
- One tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- One tablespoon of maple syrup
- Four regular chicken breasts, about 10 ounces each
- Four cups butternut squash (approximately one lb.) peel and cube
- Three large shallots, peel and quarter
- Half an acorn squash, seed it and then cut it into slices
- Eight oz. Brussels sprouts, trim and half (approximately two cups)
- Melt two tbsps. unsalted butter
- One tbsp. olive oil
- Divide 1 1/2 tsps. of kosher salt
- Divide one tsp. of ground black peppercorns
- Place a large baking sheet with a rim into the oven and preheat the oven and pan to 425°F.
- Combine the mustard, sage, and syrup to a small bowl. After it’s mixed, brush the glaze over the chicken. Remove the pan from the oven and put the chicken on it. Bake at 425°F about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and discard the juices.
- Add both squashes, shallots, and the Brussels sprouts onto the pan with the chicken. Top Pour the butter, oil, and half the salt and pepper over the vegetables and carefully toss them. Spread an even layer of vegetables around chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes at 425°F until it’s done. Remove the chicken bones and throw them away before serving.
The chicken in this dish roasts on a sheet pan with the potatoes and squash. It makes for an easy way to prepare the recipe, and it cleans up quickly too.
Most of the ingredients are low calorie and low-fat, with the spices having very little if any calories. Only the maple syrup will have significant amounts of sugar and calories. However, since it is spread thinly over the chicken, it shouldn’t deter anyone from losing weight.
This dish makes six servings with four ounces of chicken and one cup of vegetables per serving. Each serving has 376 calories, 14g of fat, 36g of protein, 103mg of cholesterol, and 634mg of sodium.
Pros and Cons
This information tells what we like and don’t like about this recipe
- It is easy to prepare
- It cooks together on one sheet pan
- The cleaning task is simple
- It has too much salt
Although it is challenging to compare recipes against one another, we decided to select the Barbeque Chicken on Fresh Chopped Salad as our favorite of the healthy chicken recipes for weight loss. It is a healthy dish that can satisfy most people for dinner, and it contains only 337 calories.
While other recipes contain fewer calories, such as the Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Dinner, they are not as satisfying or nutrient-dense as this dish. By adding a healthy dessert, this recipe would be a great summer lunch or dinner.